The Law Offices Of Michael Camporeale

Over 20 Years Of Vast Legal Experience

What To Do If You Suspect Elder Abuse In Your State?

Leaving an elderly loved one in the care of another person or facility requires an extremely high degree of trust. Given the vulnerabilities that often come associated with old age, a higher level of care and supervision is absolutely mandatory to ensure the highest degree of health and safety, which is the expectation when leaving your loved one in the care of an assisted living or retirement home. However, this is unfortunately not the case all too often. Whether it stems from poor management, employee wrongdoing, or general negligence, the mistreatment or abuse of elders is unacceptable.

In New York, residents of assisted living and nursing homes are afforded what is known as “resident’s rights.” This protects from multiple forms of mistreatment and abuse, but often, these protections are not enough. If you or a loved one have been mistreated or abused in a nursing home, it is critical to contact an elder law attorney as soon as possible. Examples of mistreatment could include malnutrition, insufficient hydration, the formation of bed and pressure sores, injuries from restrains or bedrails, and much more.

What Happens When You Report Elder Abuse?

Reporting elder abuse is the first step to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, it does not always solve it, though. Elderly care facilities will not always respond to your claims, and even if they do, they may not diligently investigate the situation. These facilities are often set up for-profit and will put residents’ needs behind that of making money. This can lead to understaffing, neglect, mistreatment, or failing to maintain acceptable standards of living for the residents.

If you suspect a loved one is being mistreated because of visible signs or what they have told you, it is essential to notify the care facility and then call an Elder Law Attorney right away. It is necessary to do this quickly, as prolonged mistreatment or neglect can lead to tragic circumstances. With 17 plus years of extensive experience, the Law Offices of Michael Camporeale, P.C., are prepared to advocate for you and your elderly loved ones using the laws specifically designated to prevent this behavior.

Who Should Report Possible Elder Abuse?

It can be challenging to come to terms with the idea that the trust you have placed in your chosen care facility or guardianship service has been broken. It is also wholly necessary to make sure that the mistreatment is put to a stop, not only for your loved one but for any other residents or possible victims as well. Whoever is responsible for managing the resident in a care facility, whether that be a family member or someone else, it is your obligation to report any potential abuse.

Suppose you have become aware of any potential abuse or have seen physical evidence of unacceptable treatment. In that case, the next step should be to report this to the owner of the facility, the authorities, and then a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in New York. These signs can include speaking with a mistreated resident, personally witnessing abuse, or seeing physical signs like sores, bruises, or signs of malnutrition. Regardless of the situation, the Law Offices of Michael Camporeale, P.C., are prepared to handle your case.

New York Attorney Michael Camporeale

Get your questions answered - call me for your free phone consultation (718) 475-9639